I usually can't sleep the night before the first day of school. I love the first day of school. I love the little faces as I get to greet them. I love the sweet Kindergarten babies that walk in for the first time, with scared faces, and I get to take their hand and tell them how much they are going to love Kindergarten. I love the kids that get dressed up for the first day in an outfit that their mom's probably bought for them. I love the familiar faces. I love walking through the halls praying for those sweet students as they get ready to enter a new school year.
However, this year was different. Not only did I have all those familiar feelings but I had my first baby entering into the world of school. I was excited, nervous, scared and overwhelmed with emotion as we started to enter this milestone. These are things I remember about the first day of school:
- John getting up at 5:45am because he just couldn't sleep anymore.
- Seeing my sweet babies in their new outfits (John was NOT dressed fancy- his requirement) and taking pictures on the porch.
- Going to school by myself and thinking "I wonder how John is feeling right now."
- Being so excited when I saw the black car drive up and Matt and John getting out.
- Seeing John being brave, but also seeing him a little nervous.
- Walking through the doors and hearing my sweet son, "This is really happening." in a soft voice.
- Walking behind him and seeing so many teachers and staff members greet him and love him already.
- Giving him a hug, us counting to 10 as we hugged, and him saying "Mom, count slower." (Try holding tears back with that being whispered in your ear...but I did!)
- Him walking into the classroom all by himself and the teacher saying "You can come in if you want." Matt and I shook our heads no because we knew it would be hard on John to say bye again.
- Walking back to my office, and deciding that I will break into sobs if I was by myself, so to bus duty I went.
- Getting to see my little man during Kindergarten lunch practice.
- Him running to give me a hug at the end of the day when I walked into my office.
- John asleep by 8:00 because he was so exhausted from his first day of Kindergarten.
|This boy loves his baby sister!|
|Jenny Johnson - he loves his hat!|
|He wanted a picture with a sad face...silly boy.|
|Sophia's sweet smile and her pose.|
|He's in the building!!|
|Walking down the hallway and Pam, the school secretary cheering him on. She loves him and spoils him rotten!|
So we have now down a week and a half of school. He is loving it and has stories every day. I love seeing him at the end of the day with a new story to tell. And if you know John, he always has stories!