Friday, May 27, 2016

Naming

This morning I couldn't sleep. I was wakened by the storm at 3:38 and laid there until 4:30. I decided to get up at that point because sleep wasn't coming at all.

I took advantage of the quiet house, a cup of coffee and my devotion. Here is the verse that was laid out in front of me.

He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 
Genesis 2:19-20

I picture the Garden of Eden. Green and luscious, with flowers and sweet smells everywhere. I see Adam standing in the middle of the Garden, smiling and patiently waiting as each living creature comes to him. (In my structured mind, I see the living creatures standing in a perfectly straight line, but that probably is just my personality.) I see him stop and ponder, and quietly say the name. A name that will last and be forever.

To name things is a big deal. Think about it - when you are naming a child, it isn't usually a quick decision. There is reasoning behind the name. The name you choose gives meaning to the child and it will be what he or she is known as for the rest of their life (unless they want to go through the           rig-a-ma-roll of changing their name). 

In my devotion One Thousand Gifts, it has a line that I love.
"God is in the details; God is in the moment. God is in all that blurs by in a life - even hurts in a life. GOD! How can I not name? Naming these moments may change the ugly names I call myself."

I have been challenged by this book and devotion to record 1000 gifts that I see and have in my life. I am recording the smallest of things to monumental occasions. I am naming the gifts that I have daily. I am putting a name and giving meaning to these gifts that surround me. Sometimes it is like a puzzle or solving a mystery - "What shall I name you?" Yet, once the pen has scrawled the name across the page - it comes alive with meaning. It makes me realize the gifts I am surrounded by and it shows me that God is in that moment - even the smallest of moments. He handles the details and when things are blurry - He helps me to name those times. He helps me see the drops of grace in my day so that ugly names don't appear on the page. 

What will I name today? 


No comments: