Monday, February 9, 2015

Out of the Spin Cycle

As I woke up this morning, I had to make a decision ...to work out or to sit on the couch with my coffee and a book. Yup, you guessed it - coffee wins every time. 

I will work out tonight (wink wink)

A sweet colleague of mine, returned to work this past week after being on maternity leave with her second baby. We were chatting in the hallway about going from one baby to two babies. Whew...that is a whole other post. She mentioned a daily devotional called "Out of the Spin Cycle" It is written by Jen Hatmaker. 

This conversation was crucial. I didn't know it at the time, but as soon as I sat down to read it (thanks to one-click purchase on Amazon Kindle), I knew that it was what I needed. I would recommend it to any lady that is trying to raise kids. 

So that brings me to my post today. At the end of each devotion, is a little thought. It may be a little thought, but it goes deep and hits you in the heart. Here was today's thought...

"For the rest of the day, try to filter every word, every decision, and every activity with your kids through the grid of being like Jesus - and nothing else."

Whew! 

That is when I started thinking about this...

I realized that I fall all the time and God still loves me. He gives me grace. He doesn't yell at me or show frustration. He doesn't ground me or punish me over and over again. He waits, he listens to my pleading, and he loves. My kids are the same as me but my reactions are often different than Jesus' reactions. 

I like how this question says "for the rest of the day" because you and I both know this is a big task. It takes practice and a lot of prayer. But I am taking the challenge today. (This is very easy to say right now because my house is completely quiet and my sweet children are sleeping soundly.) 

I hope you have a great Monday. 

No comments: