Thursday, August 26, 2010

"'I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD.' And he worshiped the LORD there." I Samuel 1:27-28 (NIV)

I read this verse the other morning during my daily devotions. This is a prayer from Hannah. Hannah wanted a child so badly and after many years and many prayers, God granted Hannah a child. Hannah had high hopes for Samuel. She had promised God that she would give back Samuel and that is exactly what she did.
Often times, my prayers for my kiddos are to keep them safe, learn to behave, not throw so many fits, or to just sleep through the night so that I may rest. I have even prayed...please let this be a long nap! Often these prayers are cried or said in desperation because parenting doesn't come with a manual and we are learning step by step.
After reading this verse, I realized that I need to have higher hopes with my kids and look towards God more. My prayers have now become more fruitful and more about my children becoming a man and woman of God. Hannah dedicated Samuel to God FULLY. There was no selfishness in her prayers. She was completely devoted to being a mother to Samuel and letting God take the lead in their lives. In the past few days, I have learned that I am setting the bar for my children...what they see me do to strengthen my relationship with God, to become a better parent, and what I hope and expect for them needs to be seen daily.

No comments: