Thursday, June 17, 2010

1 Corinthians 6:19-20, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." (NIV)

I hate running...but I want to like it. I actually want to love it. I want it to be something that I want to do. For example, if I get stressed, I want to say that running would be my outlet. WRONG! Eating, complaining, venting, Starbucks, crying, being grumpy...these are my outlets. I had been thinking about trying to train for a 5K. I had even told Matt that I would like to do it. That was about 2 weeks ago. I really hadn't done anything about it. Then I read this verse and it really stuck out to me. I couldn't really think of a way that I was actively taking care of my body.
Now let me tell you...I can find every excuse not to run. However, I love to eat. I love to eat not so good stuff for your body. It is a wonder that I am not bigger than I am. It's not like I don't like to do some exercise. For example..I like to go on walks. However, I always think we should walk to Culver's and get some custard. I like walking with a purpose in mind. This morning Sophia was talking up a storm at 5:00 a.m. I got up thinking I would be feeding her. I stuck her pacifier back in her mouth, getting ready to pick her up, and she went back to sleep. So here I am, up at 5:00 a.m. with no baby to feed. My first thought...I could go run. YUCK! So I send a few emails, check my Facebook, check the blog, and starting thinking of other things I could do...such as go back to sleep. That is when the verse pops in my head.
So I caved and put my tennis shoes on. I had read somewhere (when I was gung ho about running a 5K) that you should start out running 90 seconds, then walking 60 seconds. You do this for 20 minutes. So that is what I did. It sucked...but I did it. So Day 1...completed!

4 comments:

JustJess said...

Nice job, Jodi! I know it doesn't seem like it, but that time will add up and you'll be rocking that 5k before you know it. Small steps add up. And who knows, you might even get to where you DO like it!

Whitney Richeson said...

Jodi, thank you for always being my inspiration. I am exactly the same way. I can't remember the last time I did something good for my body! I hate running too! Good luck babe!

The Strader Family said...

Jodi, I love running. I am not fast at all, actually I am very slow. When Summer School is over I would love to run with you (if you would run slow with me). I think that you will begin to love running. I will keep you in my prayers!

Miller Racing Family said...

Fabulous job! I am like you I would love to be a runner. I read all of these fun blogs about running and they are so motivating but of course I never make it to that point.
I have come to the conclusion I am a power walker. Before we got pregnant with Lila I gained 20 pounds and so I started walking 7 days a week for a year and half and those created my love of walking. This is the best stress relief for me. No matter if it is cold, raining, snowing or blazing hot I will be walking. Either on the treadmill or out in the great town of Houston. I have also noticed that these walks have created two wonderful stroller babies that love and appreciate the great outdoors.
I hope the running continues, I know every new mommy needs some outlet.