Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Couple Recipes

So today I made three new recipes. 2 out of 3 turned out wonderful! Not bad! Here are some new recipes to try.
Peach and Mint Iced Tea
You need: 6 cups of water, 1 1/4 cups lightly packed fresh mint, 3 ripe peaches, and ice.

1. Boil 6 cups of water in a covered medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of fresh mint. (I used mine out of my garden.)
2. Cover and seep for 30 minutes to allow mint to infuse water.
3. Strain mint tea into a pitcher, discarding leaves, and refrigerate until cold.
4. Meanwhile, chop 2 peaches coarsely and place them in a blender. Puree until smooth and strain through a fine-mesh strainer. Chill puree.
5. Thinly slice remaining peach. In 4 tall glasses, layer crushed ice, thin slices of peach and remaining 1/4 cup mint leaves, filling glasses about halfway.
6. Divide chilled mint tea among 4 glasses. Then stir and serve immediately.

So this wasn't my favorite drink. The first drink Matt and I drank, we just looked at each other. We added some sugar and Matt liked it a lot better. It looks little pretty and I would love to serve it at a dinner party...but I don't know if I would drink it :)
I suggest you try it and see what you think.
Salsa
A couple months ago I took a cooking class with Estella. She is a sweet lady from Anapra, Mexico, who helps dispense rice and beans to families we help support monthly. She is a precious woman. Anyway, she did a cooking class when she was visiting. She taught us to make rice, beans and salsa.
This salsa is SO easy and SO good.

You need: tomatoes, jalapenos, a clove of garlic
(I used 2 tomatoes, 2 jalapenos and 1 clove. This was a perfect amount for our family for dinner.)
1. Grill tomatoes and jalapenos until they are charred. (I did it on a griddle.)
2. Place vegetables in a Tupperware with a lid for a few minutes. (The steam helps the peeling come right off.)
3. Peel skin off vegetables and place in a bowl.
4. Chop a clove of garlic and add to the vegetables.
5. Take a glass and turn it upside down. With the rim of the glass, smash the ingredients together.
6. You decide how chunky you want your salsa.
7. Add salt as needed.
That is it!! So yummy!

The last recipe I made was almond butter. It turned out yummy too! I didn't measure anything, so I don't have measurements for the recipe. You just have to taste a long the way.
You need: roasted almonds, almond oil, honey (or some kind of sweetener), and salt.

1. Put almonds in a food processor and blend almonds until it is sticky.
2. Add almond oil and blend more until it is the consistency of peanut butter.
3. Add honey and salt as needed.
There you go. Easy as that. It is very yummy with bananas and in smoothies.

Give one or all of them a try. Enjoy!


No comments: