Monday, June 18, 2007

The Realization of It All

If you haven't talked to me in awhile and you are visited this site, you need to know that Matt and I are about to go on an adventure of a lifetime. We will be heading to China for 2 weeks on a mission project, and then return to soon fly off to Eastern Europe to teach English for a year. We are not certain to the exact location but it is looking like Prague, Poland or Serbia. So here is the first blog of our new adventure.

Well tonight has been the first night that moving and new jobs has really impacted us. We started our evening with dinner and wine, followed up with starting to go around our house and putting garage sale stickers on the things that seem to clutter our house and lives. Our house is now on the market and while we are pulling things out to sell, we have to keep our house clean in case we have any lookers. We then got an email from a school in Prague that is really interested in Matt and I! Along with the email was an application. It started off easy, "where did you go to school", "what is your teaching experience?", blah, blah and then the hard questions hit. "Please write a 60 min. detailed lesson plan on how you would teach intermediate students about present continuous verb tense." After reading this, I went on to read the next question which was another 60 min. detailed lesson plan on a reading lesson. My first question, "What is a present continuous verb tense?" and my second thought is "Poor Matt, he's probably never written a lesson plan!" So I call him in to show him and he just nods his head and says, "I'm going to have to think about that." So...the realization of actually teaching English to people has set in. I have researched the internet for the definition, as well as, ideas for lesson plans. Kind of frustrated, because these lesson plans are out of my league (we don't teach this stuff in 1st grade :)), I look at the pictures of Prague and am comforted to know that this is an experience of a lifetime. Above is a picture of Old Town Square in Prague.

5 comments:

tiffany d said...

I think a blog is a great idea!! You two better keep it up to date because I will be vicariously living through you two for the next year!!
love,
tiffany
PS can't wait to see you guys in a couple of weeks!!

Sarah said...

So here's the deal, I am pumped that you have blog, and I have checked it everytime I am logged on! YEAH FOR BLOGGING! now, if you need anything - english wise - call my mom, call me and I will hook you up!!!
I love you!!

Jan Velander said...

You will be living by faith and what a travel guide you will have...God, Himself. I applaud your courage and enthusiasm. We're only on this earth a short time. Live everyday like it's your last.
Love,
Jan

LaTisha said...

Wow! Nice website. You better use it. This is one life adventure that I don't think I can be apart of :( Unless you have a huge suitcase to fit me in! Have fun, and stay in touch.

kurtis and wendi said...

I still cant believe youre leaving. We, especially Luke, are going to miss you so much. I know God has such extrordinary plans for you, how could he not? You two are extrordinary people.
Love, Kurtis and Wendi